• Media reports that the Justice Secretary, Michael Gove, is floating the idea of a 1% turnover tax on top City law firms to help pay for the courts system. This is hoped might replace the newly introduced charge on guilty defendants. This all looks like spin and the government making things up as it goes along.
• A tax on criminal defendants pleading innocent, which is what it really amount to, is grossly unfair and an abuse. It is also idiotic as few convicted defendants will have the money.
• The turnover tax on the City is equally short-sighted as it will just drive their international business abroad, as well as likely falling foul of European VAT law.
• Meanwhile the government is never short of taxpayers’ money to spray around on legal defence for alleged international terrorists and reported overseas spending on: consultants, land evictions, consultants, space programmes and more consultants.
• Sensibly a working justice system is what all the people within a nation pay their taxes for. For the government to lavish money overseas at the expense of people in the UK looks like a cruel and discriminatory two-tier justice system.
Tax Barrister, Accountant